Monday, January 31, 2005

Here's what's up

Hey guys. I hope you’re all well. Since the blogging pace seems to have bogged down, I thought I’d chip in and let you all know what’s up with us.

Beginning next Monday, after the Super Bowl, I will be in Jacksonville full time. I’ll still come home every weekend, I just won’t be going back and forth to Mobile anymore. Man, 8 months here without my wife or kids has sucked whatever love I once had for this place right out of it. I can’t wait to shake Alabama’s dirt off my shoes. Anyway, I will be in Jacksonville full time next week. I’m excited about it too. I’m nervous about learning my way around a new city but it’s not like I’m a stranger to that kind of thing. It’s just that I’m going to have a very full plate when I get there. I have to find an apartment, then look for a house in an area where there are good schools and, in the midst of all this, try to actually get some work done to justify my salary. It’ll be busy but it should also be fun. I am about to go buy a digital camera for work (believe it or not, most adjusters in this business carry both digital and a 35mm cameras. I already have an old 35mm that I used before so luckily I’ve got that covered) so I’ll post whatever interesting pictures I take in Florida.

Speaking of houses, we are going to put ours on the market this month. I will sign a 90-day realtor contract for someone to list it (probably one of the local Coldwell Banker people – we’ve always had good luck with that group) and, if it doesn’t sell in that period, I will have my company buy it for appraised value. They want me in Florida badly so I would think they would do this for me should the need arise. And, if I get to June without a contract on my house, I will consider that need to have arisen. Houses in Florida are generally more expensive than Texas both because of the stricter building codes and the slightly tighter labor market. I have no idea if we’ll buy another brand new house or something 10 – 20 years old in a more established neighborhood, which I prefer, but either way it looks like we’ll spend something in the neighborhood of $200,000.00 for it. This will be for a home that is smaller than the one I have now. Real estate in Florida – all over the state – is white hot right now. People are expecting it to be the next California. Let’s hope so.

I haven’t complained about it much but being away this much has been hard at times. I was really fortunate that the job was there for me when I left Centex so I have been willing to brave any circumstance to have a good job. But it’s getting really old. When we all get to Florida, I want to plant our stake and this is it, this is home. I don’t want to move again. I plan to build that office and make buttloads of money. I also plan to go to the beach all the time in the summers and to just plain enjoy life out there. I do NOT plan on becoming a Jaguars fan, but who knows. Maybe they’ll convert me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home