Tuesday, August 10, 2004

10 Year Reunion

This weekend marks my 10 year high school reunion. Can you believe it? Quite a milestone. Unfortunately I'm not going. Natalie's sister Amber is having her baby induced this Thursday and we're hanging around for that. But also (I kind of hate to say this), any tiny desire that I had to go was squashed now that my career is in flux. It is as though my intention for going was to strut around with my wife and pictures of Lillian, and tell my story about how successful I became over the decade.

I can scoff at that from my moral high chair, but I must confess it's true. Isn't it true for everyone that goes? Why do we need the admiration of people we only kind of liked in the first place? Why do we define ourselves to the world on the basis of what we do for a living?

"I just can't wait for my ten year reunion. I'm gonna bust through the double-doors. And when I stand on all these tables before you, you will know what all the time was for..." What was John Mayer talking about here anyway?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home