Monday, July 10, 2006

Swish buckler

Hi guys. Hope everyone's well. We had Megan down for the weekend and had a good time at the beach with her. It was my first time back in the sun after nearly burning the flesh off my legs on our last day of the cruise but it was cloudy enough that I didn't really get any sun.

Also, I took Courtney to see the latest Pirates of the Caribbean yesterday and I definitely think I am in the minority here by saying this (considering that it set a new record with its HUGE opening gross) but the truth is, I hated it. Seriously hated it. I mean, we're not talking some run of the mill "mild distaste" or anything like that. No, we're talking full bore, "see you in hell" hate. Watching Johnny Depp prance and preen around in his wierd "Captain Jack Sparrow" routine of his is like watching some tired, slightly drunk, middle-aged drag queen in a John Powers movie. And that stupid accent of his...I cannot tell you how annoying it is. Plus, the plot had so many starts and stops that I couldn't help but think that it must have gone through a dozen rewrites before Bruckheimer finally said "fuck it, nobody's gonna care anyway" and just filmed it.

I do think I spend entirely too much energy bashing movies that everyone else seems to like on our fair weblog here, so I won't say any more. If you want to go see it, don't let me stop you. Just don't blame me if you end up barfing up your popcorn.

Rating: one beer (and it's not even cold).

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

James, most of the time we agree on these things. As far as Depp movies are concerned though, I must say, perhaps we agree 100 percent. I think the last thing I saw with him was the first "Pirates". I was mildly amused... No plans to see this one.

What was that movie where he played Ichabod Crane? It stunk. Willy Wonka? I couldn't even watch the previews because they were so stupid. Every movie with him in it that I manage to see makes me dislike him all the more. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a good example of that.

9:18 PM  
Blogger James said...

Depp loves to play these wierd offbeat costume movies like Pirates, Edward Scissorhands, Benny & Joon, and now this one. And, like you, I was so creeped out by his pseudo-Jacko Willy Wonka character that I made it a point not to go see it.

I am beginning to suspect that Depp's penchant for choosing roles like this is perhaps to cover up for the fact that he can't act. He's been trading on his looks for so long that I am beginning to suspect that there isn't much else there.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home