Monday, March 22, 2004

New developments

Okay. Well, get this. Dad called me this morning and, in a fairly brusque tone of voice, tells me to drive to San Marcos for a face to face with him. Needless to say, I spent the morning wondering who the hell let the cat out of the bag. It turned out that all he wanted to do was to discuss the people he interviewed for estimators over here while I was gone last week. However, he pointedly asked me, since he was about to commit to spend a lot of effort and money in training these new guys (he wants to get rid of both my current estimators) if I was SURE I was committed to this. He even asked me if I was tired or burned out.

I came clean.

I told him that I've given this job over three years and that it just wasn't working out for me. I'm just not a good fit here. Whether it's this business, this market, or just sales in general, I just can't seem to make an impact. I told him that I had a good offer to go back in to claims and that I was leaning very heavily towards accepting it.

Here's where it gets surprising. Get this, he was actually happy for me! Truthfully, I think he was as relieved as I was when I told him. He knows I haven't been happy and he could tell that, no matter how hard I pushed myself, my heart wasn't in it. All in all, the whole meeting went off a lot better than I thought it would. I'll work for another week or two then start my new (old) job.

I am really happy that it didn't get ugly between us. My tough words notwithstanding, I was not relishing throwing ugly words at our dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home