Saturday, May 01, 2004

The Biz

I'm making a few sales here and there. I'm only getting two or three leads per week right now, which is something considering we have a little 3" x 5" ad all the way in the back of the foundation repair section of the yellow pages.

I've been doing a little marketing with some positive results (two recent jobs have been from realtor referrals). We are about to hit it hard with Josh coming up here and Jeff helping. I'm optimistic about things.

For the past few weeks I have been focused on getting our office ready. Namely, expanding the driveway with a new approach, encorporating the empty lot next to me, scraping the total yard area of debris, adding rockbase, fencing it in, painting inside, hanging shelves, etc. etc.

I've had my hand slapped by the city three times already. The protocol from Dad was to get the things done under the city's radar but I showed up on it trying to get a Certificate of Occupancy so we could get the power turned on in the company's name. Needless to say, I recieved a lovely "cease and desist" letter from code enforcement, and I'm having to shell out several grand more to comply with code (ie, relocating a water tap and meter, curbing my fence). Keep in mind I'm in an area where drug deals go down and there are likely crack houses nearby. Yet this is how the city uses its time and money.

Some of the codes they have now are so stupid. I think they are just a means to justify the existence of some city engineer nerd who can say he did something. Anyway, I am anxious to get it all done so we can get to business as usual.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home