Sunday, May 23, 2004

Miracle




This one I’d recommend, especially for those us who are old enough to put this “Miracle” in context. I was 13 years-old at the time and what I remember from then is how good it felt to have heroes to root for at at time when everything else seemed so bad. I can still remember how the nightly news was dominated by the humiliating Iranian hostage crisis and the Russian invasion of Afghanistan back in 1980. "American Decline" was a phrase that was being bandied around a lot back then, and it looked for all the world to be happening before our eyes.

The "Miracle on Ice" was partly an escape from - and an antidote to - all of that. Sports movies are hard to review, especially ones like this that portray events that I so fondly remember myself. This isn’t like a Ben Affleck movie where I can pick on things that I didn’t like and make fun of the whole resulting mess. I don’t want to find anything wrong with this one. Commenting on minutae like small errors in period detail would be nitpicking, bitching for the sake of bitching, and I hate doing that.

So all I’ll say is that I liked "Miracle." I liked it a lot. I don’t especially like watching sports any more, but I’m still a sucker for sports movies. Especially true sports movies with a David v. Goliath theme.

So see it for yourselves, dudes, it’s impossible NOT to finish this movie with a big grin on your face.

5 out of 6 beers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home