Monday, May 17, 2004

Movie reviews

After recovering from my butt-numbing drive from Alabama, we watched two movies this weekend. Both were rentals so they're not really current. The first one was "Timeline," the latest potboiler from Michael Crichton. My review can be summed up in 2 words:

It sucks.

Unless you're in the mood for a boring and poorly acted time travel movie, don't waste your time. This thing is such a flyblown piece of crap that I doubt even the SciFi Channel would play it. Unconvincingly acted with plot contrivances that would choke your average five year-old, the movie actually breaks new ground in succeeding in making time travel BORING. To be avoided at all costs. In fact, should any of you ever be presented with the dilemna of either having to sit through this movie or eating a dogshit sandwich, a little advice: spare your brain cells and break out the Tobasco.

When we went back to Blockbuster Saturday night, there wasn't diddly crap that I wanted to see in the new release section. So we ended up renting one of my favorites, "Almost Famous." Probably due in no small part to my near fetish for early 70's rock, I have always loved this movie. For my money, this is Cameron Crowe's best, better even than "Jerry Maguire."

Mark, you're probably the only one who would be interested in my other rental, since you and I are the only "Coopbros" who have a bit of nerd in their genetic lunchbox, but I also rented a really cool anime called "Cowboy Bebop." Again, two words:

Totally. Fucking. Awesome.

Okay, that was three words. Sue me. But if you'll watch it at home on your PC with good earphones (it has incredible sound effects) you'll be blown away. I was in nerd heaven when I watched it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home