Monday, August 30, 2004

And the answer is...

Cheech and Chong's "Up in Smoke" and for extra credit, the line was said by Stacey Keach, a.ka.a. Sargeant Hard Hat.

Hey Bros,

Well, we closed on the beach house on Friday. I'm sure that we are really going to enjoy it once the work is done. Basically, the entire inside needs painting, all the furniture and appliances are 30 years old and need replacing, the carpet and boards underneath are rotted and there is some minor sheetrock repair needed. Oh, and the deck railing needs replacing. Other than that, it's in perfect condition!

It actually reminds me of the show, "Extreme Makeover, Home Edition" The whole process should be a lot of fun. I tell you guys, my lovely wife is in her element running this project. It's amazing to watch her go. From bargain shopping for decorations, to managing our little crew, she is going to make our place a little paradise. You are all welcome any time. Just keep in mind that if you come by during the month of September, you might get a paint brush or a hammer put in your hand.

Another thing that might be of interest to you guys (since we all have an interest in real estate investing) was the purchasing process. I actually used a few of the techniques that I learned from the Carlton Sheet's course to dramatically lower my up front costs. Basically, I offered a reasonable price for the house up front, which the owner accepted. Then I did a thorough walk through and spotted things that would need replacing, so I asked for cash at closing. Then the inspector pointed out several things that needed repair, so I got an additional amount. Then I had my mortgage broker increase the sales price on paper and show that the seller would contribute 3% to the closing cost (the max allowed). Total closing cost = <$5K.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home