Monday, November 15, 2004

Our weekend

Erica and I took Megan and Peter (a friend of her's, the one who dressed up as JFK to her Marilyn Monroe on Halloween) to ahem Texas State University this weekend. Texas State is of course the college formerly known as Southwest Texas State University.

Anyway, as my memories of the college in San Marcos are 20 years old now (and fogged by the mass quantities of alcohol consumed while there) I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by what I found. The campus is beautiful, as is San Marcos itself. I know I've lived close to there for the past four years but I've never made it a point to actually go in and see the town. Anyway, Megan is set on going there despite the fact that she could probably get into any school in Texas she applied to. She has been adamant since at least junior high that she wants to be a teacher and I have every confidence that she will do just that.

I guess the name change is the college's way of trying to move up in the world. They have obviously spent a ton of money on the change too as the letters SWT wasn't to be found anywhere on campus. Plus, they've got a great new logo in this:


. . . and if anyone thinks coming up with stylized logos like this is easy really should check out Oliver Stone's bowel movement Any Given Sunday to see how badly teams can fuck up in decorating their helmets. Or look at any of the old USFL's teams (jeez, remember the Arizona Wranglers Rob?).

Anyway, back to the main point, Megan has decided that when we decamp for the Orange State come next summer she will remain behind and go to college here. That will be a big crybaby day at my house when that time comes, I can assure you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home