Monday, June 28, 2004

Monday miscellany

Well guys, I’m back in Houston and bored shitless in the office so I thought I’d write more for the weblog. No politics this time, I promise.

Anyway, Alabama’s been fun and it looks like I’m going to keep going there at least to the end of the summer. My old colleague Dean has been floundering and I’ve been trying to help him get his head back above water. Dean’s a good adjuster but not a great one and some of our clients are beginning to grumble about him. In fact, the risk manager for a very high profile client asked Tom to force me to move back to Alabama so I could assume the account. I’ve only met this guy once, when Tom and I took him out for drinks about a month ago. Now, I'll admit that it’s a little flattering, speaking in a selfish manner, but it also puts a spotlight on a glaring problem in Alabama, one without an obvious solution as there is about zero chance that I’ll end up moving back there. I have had long talks with Tom and some of our other clients and the simple truth is that, despite being a little homesick for south Alabama, it wouldn’t be a good idea to go back because there really isn’t a lot of opportunity for growth there.

Where is does look like I’ll end up going (after Megan gets out of high school) is Virginia. That’s what they keep telling me, at least. And honestly, though I was agnostic about the idea at first, the idea of going there is beginning to grow on me. I think it would be cool to live in a place that is as marinated in history as Virginia is and that actually had real seasons and even snowed in the winter. One caveat though, although I agree that it’s good to occasionally make changes in your life, I am getting really tired of changing addresses every few years. I’m looking to go somewhere and just plant myself and my family. I just want to plant our flag and say this is it, this is home. This gypsy bullshit is getting old.

I got back in the gym today and worked out my pecs and biceps. I felt really strong, too. I always feel guilty when I take time off but this past week did me a world of good. The 85-lb. dumbbells felt like they weighed only 65-lbs. I actually did a set of 20 for my first set of bench press. Maybe it was the Krispy Kremes I ate last night . . . .

Hope you’re all well. Mike, call me at Mom’s house this week. I’d love to see your place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home