Monday, June 28, 2004

Random thoughts about war and life in the 21st Century.

I just got a postcard in the mail from George W. Bush asking me for a contribution to his campaign. He also sent me a picture of himself and Laura outside the ranch in Crawford. It made me stop and think about what we are doing as a nation and if we are on the right track. I honestly don't know.

I'm concerned that all of the reasons that we used to justify the invasion have turned out to be false. I'm worried that our actions have served to divide our country and unite the radical muslims of the world. I wonder why did we left Afghanistan with Osama still running around and the Taliban regrouping. Kabul seems the only place that is relatively safe in that country.

On the other hand, our country fought and defeated fascism in WWII. As a result, Europe has become a peaceful and prosperous place. During that war, we lost over 80,000 US soldiers. Are we even up to 1,000 yet in Iraq. And aren't the consequences even greater this time? Maybe, because we get images of hostages being beheaded it causes us to waver in our committment.

I think my biggest fear of a Kerry victory is that it will be perceived in the Islamic world as a victory for the terrorists and they will become more imboldened. It's F'd up, ain't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home