Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Alligators

To go with your gator analogy James, If I lived near a swamp with a bunch of animal rights activist neighbors that objected to draining the swamp and killing all of the gators and so I then decided to go it alone and take em all down myself, I'd have to deal with some severe consequences. Like all of the gators fixating on my house. And gators coming over from other swamps to join the jihad against me. In essence what you are proposing is a form of ethnic cleansing. Look, I'm not a pinko liberal. I realize that some people can never be rehabilitated. However, our actions are causing us to lose the battle for the hearts and minds of an entire race of people. I think that the lesson here is that demplomacy is hard. But we live in an interdependent world and we can't afford to dismiss our allies so quickly. With all of our resources, we could have swayed the rest of the world. It would have taken time and patience. Something that Bush seems to lack.

There is an entire generation of people that associate democracy, social freedoms, technology and even prosperity as western, therefore evil. Sure there are going to be pockets of thinking people over there that will clamor for the type of things that we are trying to provide in Iraq, however most of the Mideast is going to view anthing positive that comes out of this as tainted fruit.

Mark, I'm glad that you have faith that all of this mess serves some higher purpose. I don't. While it's true that you can always find the moral lesson in any tradgedy, like the fire that burned off my arms and face has taught me to appreciate inner beauty. To me, God gets off easy on this one. He get's credit for everything that is beautiful and good, but bears no responsibility for the ugliness and atrocities that occur in the world. You're right, man does have free will. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

I heard a comedian on TV say that he believes in Karma. That if you do something bad, that something bad will happen to you. So he would go up to a complete stranger and punch him in the gut and ask, "Now what did you do to deserve that?" I don't know what that had to do with what I was writing about, but I thought it was funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home