Thursday, September 16, 2004

Aftermath

Well, though it was like getting out of a banana republic ahead of an invading army, I did manage to get out of New Orleans and back to San Antonio the other night. From here, I watched Hurricane Ivan knock my beloved Mobile on her ass. The storm, after teasing westward for most of Tuesday (prompting the mayor to urge an evacuation of New Orleans) veered back to the east and went right up the eastern shore of Mobile bay. I heard the eye passed right over Gulf Shores, my favorite beach in the world.

I have no idea how bad the property damage is or how many people were hurt in the storm. I do know that both my colleague Dean and secretary Tommye (both of whom hunkered down with relatives in Mississippi) are okay though neither knows how their homes fared.

Lots of digging out to do and mess to be cleaned up. Needless to say, I won’t be going back to Alabama until the power’s back on, which will probably be by next week.

Mikey, congrats and kudos to you for landing the “Paychex” job! Are you going to accept it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home