Tuesday, June 29, 2004

I'm Back

...and I'm tired!

I got back from my golf trip last night at about 1:00 am. It was awesome! We stayed in a cottage on Lake Charlevoix in Bay Harbor, Michigan. It's owned by a buddy of mine's family. This is the area where Ernest Hemmingway used to relax, fish, and draw inspiration. Very beautiful.

In terms of golf, I shot my usual 115-120 rounds, BUT I did get two birdies (one on a par 3 and the other on a par 5) and several pars over the course of the weekend. We had a blast! When we didn't golf, we played cards. I got homesick though. I'm glad to be back. Now I'm just trying to get this week into full swing again.

I enjoyed reading your posts about the war and our culture. As far as this stuff goes, I am not the most informed person. I saw that we transferred sovereignty to the Iraqis, that militants keep executing prisoners, and that over all the situation (in the public eye) is getting worse.

I don't know. I suppose if I thought about it long enough it would bother me. On many occasions I have chided myself for not being more up on international affairs and politics, but I don't know what good that would really do me. I mentioned Hemmingway earlier and I found a great quote from him: "Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know". I remain blissfully ignorant because I am powerless to do anything about it other than praying for our military and our president.

Still, it's good to occasionally lend an ear to what is going on because ultimately we have to protect our families. I do know this: There are certain evil people in this world that perhaps once could have been reasoned with, but who have been so indoctrinated with hatred that their own consciences have been smitten. The fact is they are already dead, in that there is no hope for bringing them around or appealing to their good nature. Their venom is infecting more people and the only way to deal with them is to destroy them. I fully believe this, and it doesn't go against my faith either.

Now, the cultural war (or the cultural divide) I think warrants more concern. You used homosexuality as your example. Hatred gave way to tolerance which led to acceptance, but this was not enough. Acceptance gave way to cultural integration and (slowly) moral abandonment. Sodom and Gomorah didn't get that way overnight, but they got that way!

I like what your wrote, James, about the liberal intelligentsia (term borrowed from Nader) raging against the dying of the light. Those people still have consciences and CAN be reasoned with (exept maybe for blowhards like Moore). Maybe this is the death rattle of liberalism, who knows? I agree with you Rob. It would suck if Kerry beat Bush out of office.

I guess the only meaningful way I can close this post is to say "Grab some popcorn, the revolution will be televised!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home