Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Yea, reading is cool.

I have to admit James, the Harry Potter connection slipped past me. For those that don't know about the book James if referring to; it is the first person narrative about a hard core drug addict and alcoholic who enters rehab.

I only picked up the book because of the Oprah Winfrey book club seal, which by the way, is an excellent way to choose a good read. I haven't been let down yet.

The prose is brilliant as he describes the frantic, incoherent thought patterns of someone who is going through detoxicification. I highly recommend.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out. I've been having a lot of thoughts lately about something similar: Namely who we are, and where we find our "awareness". An addict finds his/her awareness tied to an insatiable desire. He/she is then consumed with satisfying that desire. To the addict, nothing else matters. The insane part of it is that the desire is never really satisfied, only placated momentarily, then strengthened. Yet the addict continues in the pattern as a slave to the desire. It is a great lie to believe that drugs, alcohol, sex, work, or whatever it is can ever really satisfy the need behind the particular desire.

So back to work I go! Que Bourgois!

12:51 PM  
Blogger James said...

Last night, I read the part where Frey ripped out one of his own toenails. Gave me a major case of the heebie-jeebies.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home