Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Sunshine State greetings

Okay, boy oh boy, is this ever a slow blogging month for us. Has no out there got anything to say? Shit. Well, I have been as busy as a one-armed paper hanger lately and am looking forward to coming back to Texas next week for some down time and Turkey. So, Robbie--“big belly Bob,”--are you sticking with the new workout routine? This is the worst time to start one, as you know. I have been hitting it almost every day and I can still feel my belt tightening because of all the sweets that the women here keep bringing in to the office.

I have worked literally every day since I got back to Florida from visiting with you. Speaking of which, wow, what a great time. Thanks again, dude. I cannot believe how cool it is to spend a late autumn day on the beach and then have a bonfire at night. Too bad Mark wasn’t there else he could have pulled out his guitar and sang for us. Then again, maybe it’s a good thing he wasn’t there . . . . And I still think Christian was telling me the truth—and not you—about that little prank he told me about. Even if he didn’t do it, the fact that he could even conceive such a thing proves that he is definitely a chip off the old block. God, what a funny kid.

Mark, last night I gave a speech to a group of about 30 women called the Insurance Women of Jacksonville. When they asked me to come and address their meeting, they asked me to fill up about 15 to 20 minutes with humorous anecdotes about claims. Well, like all of you, I may be a bit reticent in my normal dealings with people but give me an audience and I become an over-cooked ham. I talked about a claim I handled about 10 years ago in Beaumont on a man who wanted to sue Diamond Shamrock because he wasn’t allowed to use their bathroom (it was a real old gas station and only had one facility, for employee use only, behind the cash register) and so he ended up shitting himself. It’s a long story but when I met with him and took his statement I had to turn my recorder off halfway through because I couldn’t stop laughing.

“I’m really sorry sir,” I said trying to regain my composure. “I’m not laughing at you.”

“Yes you are” he replied, obviously not amused.

“Okay, I am. But you gotta admit it’s pretty damned funny.”


Anyway, it felt great to get up and talk to people again and I almost had to make myself NOT talk about foundation repair. I think that is the one thing that I got from working for dad, a love for public speaking. The speech went over well, all in all. They were all laughing and at the end they were screaming, pulling their hair and throwing their underwear at me, which is pretty scary as most of them were in their 60s.

Mikey, hope you’re well. You never check in here, so I don’t know. Jennifer, how’s it going with the sky shades thing?

Alright dudes, Coopbro 1 is outta here. You punks better start checking in more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home