Monday, October 29, 2007

Carmen is a whole hand!

Hold onto your hats- Carmen's fifth birthday is today! Can you stand it?!
I know I'm having a spot of trouble with the whole idea! Her birthday is always filled with such mixed emotions- I'm so happy for her, and she's so happy for herself. Yet at the same time I'm a little sad because she's my BABY, and she's growing up sooooo much.
She attended a party last night, and for the first time she offended me by asking when I would leave! She's becoming so very independent! So I had to leave her, and we were way up in north Austin, so Clarita and I went to a bookstore and read and had coffee and hot chocolate and sat together for a good while (which was another first), then went back to get Carmen. I think Clarita and I both were a little miffed by the whole thing- it's also the first time Carmen wanted no part of her sister's shadow around!
Carmen is no longer the youngest out of any group. In fact she's one of the eldest in her pre-school, so her confidence has really increased. She gets annoyed at feeling like she's always in Clara's shadow, believe me the message has been received loud and clear!
Sometimes I cradle her in my arms and tell her to "Be the Baby!" and she just wriggles and giggles and wiggles her way out. And I pretend to cry and I tell her again- "You're my baby, now be the baby!" And she thinks it's so funny... She is so delightful.
And, man, is she ever ready for Kindergarten! She just can't wait till she gets to board that bus with Clarita. She knows it's official now- she'll definitly start Kinder next August, now that she's five.
My two little babies are two little kids now. I really didn't think I could love anyone as much as I loved my newborns. Now I find that the love only gets bigger with age, and more personal, if that makes any sense.
James- wonderful to see you again. Speaking of grown-up children, Courtney sure is a gorgeous girl! Did the Italian Wedding Soup work out?
Mark- we can't wait to have you back stateside again. I can't wait to get some of the stories first hand. And I want to at least get on your list for a visit- we want to see those babies!
Mikey- remember the dance club we all went to in San Anton? Well they opened one up here in Austin! So I need for you and Molly to come back and shake a tail feather here real soon- k?
Robbie- how's the healing process coming to the hand and the ego? Heh. Hope you're feeling lots better! And you, too, we'd love to have you and the kiddos come back when you're all mended.
Love to you all, Jenn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home