Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Just for shits and grins . . .

"Solipsism" is a lovely word, is it not?  Unfortunately, it's also a bit unwieldy so I don't get the chance to pull it out of its scabbard and swing it around too much.  The reason I wrote that about Dylan McDermott is because his character on the practice, Bobby Donnell, would only ever talk about himself.  I even suggested to Erica once that we play a drinking game where either of us would take a sip of beer or margarita every time McDermott clenched his fist, lowered his voice to a faux-sincere whisper, and use the pronoun"I." 
 
They win a big, high dollar case: Bobby looks into his fiancee's eyes (I don't remember her name on the show and I don't give enough of a shit to Google it) and talks about how much this affects him.
 
Bobby finds out that he and his wife are going to have a baby: He looks soulfully into her eyes and splutters out a mess of sentences that use that pronoun 17 times or so. 
 
A madman breaks in, shoots up the entire office, and castrates the men in the firm.  He then smears himself in their blood and excrement, does a war dance on the conference table then throws himself out a window:  Bobby . . . well, you know. 
 
Actually, that last bit didn't really happen, but back in the late 90's I kept wishing it would.  Anyway, I cannot believe that I just burned time out of my workday to write about a bad TV actor.  Oh well. 
 
Mark, good luck with the job search.  It'll all work out. 
 
By the way, I'm bored with this format so I think I'll look at some other templates for the blog.
  
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home