Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Deadwood is not dead wood

I don't know if any of you cretins is a fan of it or not, but Erica and I have been watching Deadwood on DVD lately. I like it, but I don't know that I'd really recommend it.

For those who don't know, it's about a post-Civil War gold rush town in the Dakota Badlands. The show is gritty as all hell and extremely well-acted and written. It's done by David Milch of NYPD Blue fame and you can tell that he's having fun here not having to worry about network censors. Sometimes, though, the profanity can get to be a bit too much. Lord knows, I'm not of a delicate nature when it comes to salty language, but I seriously doubt that epithets like "cocksucker" and "cunt" were hurled around as promiscuously - if at all - in the Old West as they are shown here. But that's a quibbling objection. The show is incredible and what makes it so - or I should say who makes it so - is the performance of the actor who plays saloon owner and chief villain Al Swearingen. Englishman Ian McShane plays the part and, I swear to God, if they ever make a movie where the devil is portrayed as merely a man and not some CG cartoon with horns and tail, he would be perfect for it. His rough voice and cruelly lined face (see it and you'll know what I'm talking about) would make him a natural for Old Scratch.

There was an incredible scene on the episode we watched the other night where Swearingen gets upset after learning that another saloon is opening up across the street from him. This is a man who most definitely shoots messengers who bring him bad news but he knows that he can't just walk over and shoot his rival without himself being killed. So, he stalks around like a caged tiger, barely able to suppress his fury.

"Goddamn it," he growls, "I gotta fuck something . . . and I need a drink!"

A really cool movie came out a few years ago. It was an English gangster film called Sexy Beast that starred Ben Kingsley as the chief bad guy. Ben fucking Kingsley of all people! Well, believe it or not, mister Gandhi plays such a ferociously good villain that he gave me chills. Y'all, for a much better review of Sexy Beast than I could ever write, read this. Well, I can't imagine that finding someone who could play Kingsley's boss, someone even meaner and more menacing than he is, was easy, but Ian McShane pulled it off.

Deadwood is not for the faint of heart and certainly not for anyone put off by seeing a lot of unwashed, low men angle against and sometimes even kill each other as they pan for gold. But, if you got a few hours to kill, it's definitely worth a look.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home