Thursday, August 25, 2005

Checking in

Well, well. Has no one got anything to say? Nothing at all? Jeez, is nothing going on in y’all’s life or are you all just lazy, hmm?

Well, since y’all can’t seem to get enough of my observations on my life, you should know that things are fine here. Still doing my thing and trying to get my life back together. It’s funny how distressing mundane things like paying bills and grocery shopping can be after you’ve had 11 years of marriage and a wife to handle chores like that. Still, you do what you have to do. I’m still working out every morning, 5 or 6 days a week, and I’m still eating right.

This morning was spinning and every Thursday the instructor, an uber-buff blonde named Angel, has us do a half hour on the bikes and another half hour in the aerobics room. The spinning was fine, normal stuff that I’ve been doing for almost a year, and for the last half of the hour Angel had us do 7 different exercises in a rotation with decreasing repetitions of each. This was after 30 minutes on the bikes, of course. The first exercise was the worst, 5 push-ups (no problem there) followed by a 20-second “plank.” The “plank” is a static contraction abdominal exercise whereby you lay supine and support your body weight on your elbows and toes, holding your body rigid while the instructor calls out the count. Proper form is to keep your torso straight with your ass level with your back, thus its name. The first set, we did five pushups followed by a 20-second plank. We did this four times. By the end, I was doing the plank on my knees with my ass in the air. I was more of an arch than a plank. It hurt like a bitch, but boy was it a good workout.

As to personal matters, I am not dating because I still don’t think I’ve got my head on straight enough to do so. Plus, I’m still married. Even though my marriage is only a legal res at this point, I did take a vow and I don’t want to break it. Just because Erica broke hers doesn’t mean that it’s okay for me to do so too. Back to dating though, I’m not saying that I want to be “perfect” inside before I try to meet anyone—I don’t think such a thing is possible—but only that I want to be cleaned of this experience before I try to meet anyone again. In other words, I want to go thru what I need to go thru before I bring anyone else into my life. Crawl before I walk, if you know what I mean. I think if I were to go out with anyone now, all I would end doing would be complaining about Erica and that wouldn’t be fair to . . . well, whomever I was with. I’ll know when it’s time for me to get back out there. In the meantime, I am trying to concentrate on work, working out and just taking care of myself. I’ve started attending a local Baptist church here and have been like 4 times already. The only reason I haven’t joined yet is because I haven’t found a Sunday School class that I’m comfortable with yet. Once I do, if I do, I’ll join.

The truth is, guys, without faith, I will sink. I am 1000 miles away from everyone I love. I am alone here, but for people I work with. I’m not saying that to elicit pity or sympathy from you all either. Lots and lots of people go thru what I’m going thru right now. I am not special. I am only saying this to explain why I feel the need to get right with God again. Not that I was ever really out of His grace, mind you. I feel the need to be within the community of believers, the church, at this time in my life.

I think that there are times in your life where God measures you and I think this is one for me. Right now, I am letting Him carry me.

I’ve seen some cool movies lately. I loved Paul Giamatti in “American Splendor.” Wow, what a departure from his roles in “Sideways” and “Cinderella Man.” I’m not going to go into a plot synopsis, just let it suffice to say that it was a decidedly offbeatl, albeit cool movie. I also watched “I heart Huckabee’s” and, unlike “American Splendor” thought it was crap. The movie was funny in parts, and the acting was good, but it was so self-congratulatory and tried SO hard to be whimsical and intellectual that it was impossible to enjoy. And though I enjoyed the performances and thought the subject matter (a lot of people talking a lot of philosophical mumbo-jumbo to each other) would appeal to the nerd in me, I thought the movie was less than the sum of its parts.

Right now I’m watching “Sin City” which, if y’all missed catching it at the theater, you really should rent it. “Sin City” is fucking awesome, and Mickey Rourke totally redeems his career in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home