Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Observations from Mom's house

Okay, okay, dude. I’ll post something. Ahem . . .

“Something.”

Only kidding. Mark, you have by far the most fascinating life of all of us right now. I can’t speak for anyone else but me but my life, since I returned from Florida, has been nothing so much as just a lot of work. That’s not a bad thing but honestly, I don’t know how Mom and Joe handled this beast by themselves. Mom is definitely not bullshittin’ with the sauce when she says that she doesn’t run the company so much as it runs her. I am serious, dude, it’s not set-your-hair-on-fire stressful, but my consumption of Aleve has gone up measurably since I got here.

One good thing though about being back at home and working in this house has been that I am eating a lot better and exercising a lot more too. I decided to make a change from my crazy early 5:30 am workouts and pushed it to the other extreme, going to the gym around 10:00 pm on my weight-training days. The good thing about that is that you still have all of your calories in your system from the day and so you can really ramp up the intensity. Thus, I have really been able to jack up the weights on the iron and hopefully begin to whittle myself back down from my size 40 to 42 waist I currently lug around. The bad thing is that it is really hard to go to sleep when your body is aching from a 90-minute bomb session on the iron. You’d think otherwise, but that’s not the case.

But back to working with mom, it’s fine. I have been doing a little of everything except statements. During those hectic few days (her “monthly kidney stone” I call them) she would look at me as if to ask me to help her and Joe and I would scream out at the top of my lungs “AHH! Danger Will Robinson, Danger Will Robinson!” and run down the stairs. Today, she and I went to a new office party for the Coldwell Banker office in Memorial and I got a chance to meet a lot of the realtors who send work our way. It was nice but if you want to know the truth, the whole place was a Cougar’s den, with the average age of the attendees being around Mom’s age.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that, Mom! (in case you’re reading this)

I swear to God, guys, there was more botox in that room than a plastic surgeon’s medicine cabinet. But even though I would love to tell you that all the women there were looking at me with sly, lustful glances, the truth is that unless I was standing next to mom, I was invisible. I therefore spent most of the time hitting on a couple of cute young 20-somethings from a title company who looked like they felt as out of place as I felt. I kept plying them with wine and almost had them talked into a threesome when Mom walked up and said it was time to go.

I had a nice time this past weekend. On Friday, I drove to San Antonio for Megan’s 21st birthday. BTW, Mark, Meg really appreciated the email and photos you sent her. I took her, Court, Erica and Andrew to dinner at this local burger joint Megan chose and, despite the presence of the ex, had a nice time. I then drove to Austin, crashed at Aunt Gay’s house and went to Galveston the next morning. Aunt Dorothy looks good, a lot better than she did last Thanksgiving, for which I am very grateful. She seemed to be in higher spirits too, but that may simply be because she was around us, cutting up and drinking and cursing. We all spent a great evening on the deck just bullshittin’ and looking at the stars. Every time I turned around, Rebekah was pouring wine into my glass so I got really drunk, more so than I have been in a very long time. Thank God I didn’t have to drive anywhere, too, because I was no shape to anything like that. I was so drunk that at around 2 am, when I decided to go get my bag out of my truck, I was struck by the notion that it would be a simply marvelous idea if I just dropped and lay down right there on the deck. I think Rob woke me up about a half-hour later and sent me to bed.

And that’s about all that’s happening on my end. I will prod the lazier members of our troupe to post something. Until then, Coop brizzle one is out!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Awesome! As soon as we get back we're laying down plans for an all-hands Coopbro party at the beach-house.

2:44 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Robbie, you can come...

2:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home