Friday, June 18, 2004

Citizen Dick

There was a very mediocre movie that came out about 10 years ago called "Singles." It was known more for its music than its unremarkable plot because (a) Chris Cornell scored it, (b) Eddie Vedder played a small role and (c) Alice in Chains played live in one scene. Obviously, the movie was set in Seattle back when the grunge movement was beginning to take off.

Robbie's doppelganger Matt Dillon - attired in period dress of ragged shorts, hiking boots and a threadbare flannel shirt- played the lead singer of a really awful grunge band called "Citizen Dick." I think Bridget Fonda played one of their groupies (their only one) and that their signature song was called "Touch Me, I'm Dick." How bad were they? We're talkin' turn-the-speakers-up-to-eleven, Spinal Tap bad.

Anyway, one of the subplots of the movie was Dillon's incessant talking up of an upcoming gig in Oregon. Apparently, things were going poorly for Citizen Dick in Seattle and this gig in Oregon was supposed to help them get their swagger back. They were all excited about it and the movie even showed Dillon silk-screening shirts that read (you guessed it) "Citizen Dick" in anticipation of the show. Anyway, they play the gig and the next scene shows them all in a diner the next morning excitedly poring over their review in the local alternative press. The band's drummer (Vedder) read the review and you see Dillon's face as, crestfallen, he hears the reviewer savage his performance. The review was actually funny in a poison-pen sort of way and I wish I could recall it. The joke though was that while he trashed Dillon's singing, the reviewer actually praised Vedder's playing. So, after he finishes reading it, Vedder tries to console his bandmate by saying "forget it, man, a compliment for me is a compliment for you." Dillon though, stunned and in denial, got this furious look on his face and just said something like "all this negativity is only gonna make this band stronger!"

That's Dad. And in this analogy Mark, you're Vedder.

Every time I had to face him with bad news of our slow sales, leads or bad profitability I saw this come out in him. Dozens of times I heard him say how that business would almost make him despair only for it to turn around when things seemed their darkest. The problem was though that through the over 3 years I was there, I never saw the turnaround. Oh sure, we'd see brief flurries of sales from time to time - usually in the early Autumn - but every time it would prove to be a false dawn. I admire Dad's tenacity. I really do. I admire and respect him for being able to hold his company together through a really bad time these past few years. But I question whether that can be enough. In my opinion, stubborness is as much of a flaw as it is a virtue. I can only speak for San Antonio because I don't know the other markets well enough, but I don't know if that industry will ever come back with the same vigor of the late 90's. I kept hearing rumors while there that insurors were going to start writing HO-B policies again. It was all wishful thinking bullshit. My opinion remains that Dad should close the San Antonio office and handle those leads and jobs out of Austin. But he'll never do that. His pride won't let him.

Mark, for everyones' sake there, Dad's, yours, and all the friends I left, I hope y'all can find the recipe to be successful again. Lord knows, I don't want Centex to fail. But if things don't turn around, if you don't find the success you want and deserve, don't be afraid to go bang the drums for someone else. There are more bands out there than Citizen Dick.

Guys, I am flying home back to S.A. today and will be coming back here Sunday night. This living in hotels shit is getting old, but I am getting in pretty good shape as I'm working out and jogging every day. Not much else to do . . . . Anyway, I hope everyone has a good Father's Day and I'll post again next week. Also, though I just wrote some cold shit about Dad, I do love him and I will be calling him to wish him a happy Father's Day. You all should too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home