Friday, December 24, 2004

Merry Christmas Eve!

I know I haven't been blogging as much as I should be but, for some reason, I just just haven't had that much to say. It was great seeing you all last weekend at the party, even though it was also bittersweet with dad not there. I seem to still be having trouble putting dad's dying into its proper "place" in my head, if you know what I mean. I mean, on some days I'll accept it and it won't bother me and on others I'll feel this really bad anger toward him. Not necessarily for dying, but I'll find myself revisiting old fights we had and such. Are y'all going through anything like that? Anyway, I know he loved me and I'm just grateful that he and I weren't mad at each other when he died.

You know, our house seems to have become home base for all the neighborhood kids. What's funny is that they'll all be playing in Courtney's room or outside on the trampoline but will gravitate to our kitchen when Erica is making dinner. All of them eye Erica's salad like hungry wolves and a lot of times they'll often throw these very unsubtle hints that they'd like to have dinner with us. They'll throw non-sequiturs like "I'm sure my mom wouldn't mind if I ate dinner over here" and things like that. Megan's friends hang out here all the time too and sometimes even her cousins on her dad's side will come over and hang out with me and Erica while waiting for Meg to get off work. They're great kids and the fact that Erica used to be married to their dad's little brother doesn't change that for me in the least.

Somehow, I think dad sees this and smiles.

Tonight we're having Clifton spend the night here so he can have Christmas morning with us. If y'all remember, we brought Clifton with us to the last party at Dad's house. He has what can only charitably be called a lukewarm relationship with his mother, and his dad (whom he lives with) has been in the hospital for the past week with a rather severe staph infection. It was Erica's idea to have him over and I wholeheartedly agreed. I'm saying this not to morally preen or show off to you guys, but only to show what I think I've taken from dad. Dad always said he wanted "a house full of children and dogs." Well, Rob, you can have the dogs but I love having a house full of happy kids. Nothing puts a smile in my heart like being silly with Courtney and her friends, or chasing Emily and Clarita around Dad's house, or whatever. Barbara told me that she thinks I got that from Dad and I think she's probably right.

Whether we end up with something of tangible value out of Dad's estate or with just a handful of smoke is ultimately immaterial. We all have dad in us.

Merry Christmas to you and your famililies, guys. I love you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home